1/2 Photos of Chocolate Cookie Cake
1 hr 20 mins
You'll definitely need a glass of milk with this one! I adapted this from my Better Homes and Gardens New Baking Book. This cake is sweet and a little time consuming, but SO worth it, especially if you like Oreos! I've made it for a cake walk, as it makes a pretty presentation. Before I even baked all of the batter, my husband asked if there would be any leftovers! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 (8 ounce) sour cream
- 5 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup butter, softened (5 1/3 Tablespoons, it has to be REALLY soft)
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cookie, filling recipe (see recipe below)
- 1 recipe chocolate-sour cream frosting (see recipe below)
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk (plus additional 1 -2 Tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10 sandwich cookies, crushed
Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting
- 4 sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1Grease and lightly flour two 9x1-1/2-inch round cake pans (or three if you have three). Set pans aside.
- 2In an extra-large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Add milk, sour cream, melted chocolate, butter, eggs, and vanilla.
- 3Beat with an electric mixer on low speed about 1 minute or until mixture is combined. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- 4Place 1/3 of the batter in each of the cake pans. (I only had two, so I had to wait to bake the last layer.).
- 5Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 6Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove cakes from pans. Cool layers thoroughly on wire racks.
- 8Prepare Cookie Filling: In large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, milk, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until combined; beat on medium speed until very smooth.
- 9Beat in enough additional milk (1 to 2 tablespoons) until frosting is easy to spread. Reserve 3/4 cup of the filling (without crumbs) for the cake garnish.
- 10Stir crushed sandwich cookies into remaining mixture.
- 11To assemble the cake, put a cake layer on a serving plate and top with half of the crumb-filled cookie filling, spreading filling evenly over layer. Add a second layer of cake and spread with the remaining portion of the cookie filling. Top with remaining cake layer.
- 12Prepare the Chocolate-Sour Cream Frosting: In a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup (or a small saucepan), melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces and 1/4 cup butter, stirring frequently. Cool about 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream.
- 13Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth and easy to spread.
- 14Spread top and sides of cake with frosting.
- 15Spoon the reserved cookie filling onto the center top of the cake. Carefully spread filling to force some down sides of cake. Garnish the top of the cake with the 4 crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
- 16Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cookie Cake
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 662.1
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.8 mg
- Sodium 332.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 83.6 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: