Recipe by littleturtle
Fun for little kids to help make. This cake batter is made from scratch, but a packaged cake mix works just as well. The frosting can be colored for special occasions such as pink and blue for Easter or red and green for Christmas. Great for bakesales or kids parties.
- 10 flat-bottomed ice cream cones
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl mix flour, sugar, salt and baking soda.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, water, and cocoa, stirring constantly until butter is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and combine with flour mixture.
- Mix until well blended.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; beat 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into ice cream cones, filling to about 1-inch from top.
- Place in muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes (Bake right away so the cones don't get soggy; if you have a problem keeping the cones upright in the muffin tin, tuck a piece of crumpled foil around each filled cone before baking).
- Mash cream cheese together with powdered sugar.
- Add the vanilla a little at a time and food coloring if desired; mix thoroughly.
- Let the conecakes cool before frosting them, so frosting doesn't melt.
- Top with frosting, and if desired decorate with sprinkles, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, candy pieces, etc.
- Do not store in an airtight container as the cones will soften.