Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Found this in a magazine and was posting here for safe keeping.
- 4 cups chocolate Chex cereal
- 2 cups Cinnamon Chex Cereal
- 1 cup bite size pretzel twists
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1⁄2 cup toffee pieces
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, mix the cereals, pretzels and pecans. Sprinkle toffee bits on top of the cereal mixture.
- 2. In a small microwavable bowl, stir coffee granules and water until coffee is dissolved. Add Chocolate chips and butter. Microwave uncovered on High 1 1/2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until mixture is smooth. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated. Pour in 2 gallon food storage plastic bag.
- 3. Add powered sugar. Seal bag; shake evenly until well coated. Spread on wax paper or foil to cool. Store in airtight cotainer.
Not the prettiest snack mix I've ever made, but a very tasty combo nonetheless! Just fyi, the butter amount was omitted in the ingredient list, so I started off with 2 tbs of butter and kept increasing until the coffee-chocolate mixture was spreadable enough to mix with the cereals. I stopped at 6 tbs, but I suspect that up to 8 tbs (1 stick) would've been fine. Anything less than the 6 tbs, and the coffee-chocolate mixture would have just stayed in a clump instead of distributing over the cereals. I didn't really measure out the powdered sugar, I just sprinkled a bunch of it over the coated cereal mix with my shaker cup, so the powdered sugar disappeared pretty quickly (didn't stay white like the puppy chow-type mixes). I'm guessing that this would be even more delicious (albeit more fattening) with some broken Heath or Skor bars in place of the tiny toffee bits, so the toffee flavor would stand out a bit more. Loved the hint of spice from the cinnamon Chex, too. Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2013