Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Someone sent this to me from an old magazine.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packagesfinely chopped blanched almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Beat egg whites until foamy then add cream of tartar.
- Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in almonds.
- Spread mixture over bottom and sides of an oiled 10" pie pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Place 1/4 c sugar, gelatin and salt in top of double boiler.
- Beat together egg yolks and milk and add to gelatin.
- Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened.
- Add chocolate chips and continue cooking until chocolate has melted.
- Cool and stir in coffee liqueur.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Slowly add 1/4 c sugar and continue beating until whites are stiff and glossy. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Whip cream, adding final 1/4 c sugar and vanilla when cream is partially beaten.
- Spoon chocolate mixture and cream in alternating sections of cooled pie shell.
- Swirl with spoon to create a marble effect.
- Chill until firm.