Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Chocolate Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso
- Butter and flour a 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Set a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat oven to 325°.
- In a bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until soft and light, about 5 minutes.
- Stop the mixer; scrape in the chocolate; beat on medium speed.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Stop the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beater.
- Decrease the mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour, followed by half the sour cream.
- Stop and scrape again.
- Repeat with another 1/3 of the flour and remaining sour cream, then stop and scrape.
- Beat in the remaining flour.
- Give a final mix to the batter with a large rubber spatula.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the cake is well risen and a pick comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack, remove the pan, and let cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cooled, make the glaze: bring the cream to a simmer in a pan.
- Remove from the heat, add in the chocolate, and allow to stand for 3 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Add in the espresso; whisk until smooth; let cool to room temperature.
- Place the cake, on the rack, on a jellyroll pan to catch drips.
- Pour the glaze over the cake in a spiral, starting from the center and working outward.
- Leave the cake on the rack until glaze is set.
- Use a wide metal spatula to slide the cake onto a platter.
- Keep the cake under a dome at cool room temperature—refrigeration will dull the glaze.