My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate or 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream
- 1Butter and flour a 12-cup tube pan or Bundt pan.
- 2Set a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat oven to 325°.
- 3In a bowl, stir the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- 4In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until soft and light, about 5 minutes.
- 5Stop the mixer; scrape in the chocolate; beat on medium speed.
- 6Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- 7Stop the mixer and use a rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl and beater.
- 8Decrease the mixer speed to low and beat in 1/3 of the flour, followed by half the sour cream.
- 9Stop and scrape again.
- 10Repeat with another 1/3 of the flour and remaining sour cream, then stop and scrape.
- 11Beat in the remaining flour.
- 12Give a final mix to the batter with a large rubber spatula.
- 13Scrape the batter into the prepared pan; smooth the top.
- 14Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the cake is well risen and a pick comes out clean.
- 15Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack, remove the pan, and let cool completely.
- 16When the cake is completely cooled, make the glaze: bring the cream to a simmer in a pan.
- 17Remove from the heat, add in the chocolate, and allow to stand for 3 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- 18Add in the espresso; whisk until smooth; let cool to room temperature.
- 19Place the cake, on the rack, on a jellyroll pan to catch drips.
- 20Pour the glaze over the cake in a spiral, starting from the center and working outward.
- 21Leave the cake on the rack until glaze is set.
- 22Use a wide metal spatula to slide the cake onto a platter.
- 23Keep the cake under a dome at cool room temperature—refrigeration will dull the glaze.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.9
- Calories from Fat 327
- Total Fat 36.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 233.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 19.1 g
- Protein 7.7 g