Recipe by An_Net
TO DIE FOR!! Nice and quick for that morning tea with the girls!! * Hint: Use wet fingertips when pressing coconut mixture into patty pan. * Shortcut: To make chocolate filling, place cream and chocolate into a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Heat, uncovered, for 1 to 11/2 minutes on HIGH (100%) power, stirring every 30 seconds, or until melted and smooth. Time does not include cooling time in fridge.
- 1 1⁄4 cups desiccated coconut
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup thickened cream
- 200 g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Lightly grease an 18 x 2-tablespoon (40ml) capacity patty pan.
- Make base:.
- Place all ingredients into a bowl. Mix until well combined. Press a tablespoonful of mixture into base and sides of each patty hole to form small cases (see hint). Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light golden. Loosen tarts while hot. Set aside to cool in pan.
- Make filling:
- Place cream and chocolate into a small saucepan over low heat (see shortcut). Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 minutes, or until melted and smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- Stir egg yolks into chocolate mixture. Spoon mixture into coconut cases so each is three-quarters full. Refrigerate for 1 hour, or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 220°C Beat eggwhites to soft peaks. Add sugar, 1 tablespoonful at a time, beating until thick and glossy. Top each pie with meringue. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Set aside to cool before serving.