Recipe by Pendryl
A nice soft and wonderful sponge cake that is best served warm with custard. It has a great taste that any family member will enjoy. its easy and quick to make and doesn't cost a fortune for ingredients. This is only a one layer cake. if done right it will be really soft and moist inside and have a lot more spring in it then the fudge cake I've posted before.
- 200 g self-raising flour, sieved
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g margarine
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, sieved
- 3 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence or 1 vanilla pod
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place your self just above the middle of the oven.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Add one egg and some of the flour, desiccated coconut and cocoa powder and fold into the margarine and sugar repeat until all the ingredients are used up.
- Make sure to fold the mix after for a couple of minutes to get as much air in the mix as you can to help it rise better.
- Place mix in one 9 inch cake tin (or what sized tin you have handy).
- Sprinkle some more desiccated coconut over the top.
- Place in oven for 30 to 35 minutes and no more (you may have to test this depending on your oven; I use a conventional gas oven).
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before attempting to remove it or it will break. Serve it as warm as you can with custard of your choosing. Keep leftovers if any for the next day as a treat with a hot cuppa.