Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from the back of an old bag of "M & M's" Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bits. I am glad I saved it, because these are great cookies and the recipe is no longer available, even on their website. This recipe is one of thirty or so varieties that I make every Christmas and it is always a favorite. *Added 12/30/07: I don't add the M & M baking bits AFTER the dough is refrigerated. I never understood why that was necessary and since I stopped doing it I've noticed no difference. I couldn't find the M & M's this year, so used a 10 oz. bag of Hershey Kissables and they came out just as good.* --K
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 ounce) package coconut, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) package M&M's semi-sweet chocolate baking bits
- In large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar.
- Add egg yolk, almond extract and orange juice, beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt and gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Stir in 3 CUPS of the coconut.
- Cover and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir M& M's Baking Bits into dough.
- Shape dough into 1" balls and roll each in remaining coconut.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 10-12 minutes or until light brown.
I can't say exactly, they looked so good, I got started, and discovered that my almond flavor was DRY, so I used vanilla. Then I discovered my chocolate chips were butterscotch! However, they turned out just great, as Butterscotch, Coconut Snowballs!
YUM! These are addicting! I love them. This is a very easy recipe to make, and the cookies are really good. I didn't change anything. They look real pretty too! Thanks Karen :-)
These were so delish! The only problem I had was finding the m&m baking bits so I used kissables as suggested. The little kisses faded in color when they were baked and so ther weren't as pretty as I would have liked. The taste was still amazing though. I will def make these again as they are a nice alternative to the usual cookie flavor but using something other than the kissables.