Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple sweet treat! My husband saw this prepared on the pbs show Everyday Food and asked me to try it. I'm posting it here because I know he'll request it again!
- 2 large egg whites
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 198.44 g package sweetened flaked coconut
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a standard (12 cup) muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites, sugar, cocoa and salt until combined.
- Add coconut; mix until well coated. ***I would add the sliced almonds in at this point with the coconut. They didn't want to stick to the tops of the cookies!***.
- Dividing evenly, spoon mixture into muffin tin and pat in gently with moistened fingers.
- Sprinkle with almonds and pat on gently.***See note above***.
- Bake until almonds are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool in tin for 5-10 minutes.
- Run a thin metal spatula around the edges to loosen from pan.
- Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
- Cookies keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
I used unsweetened coconut and increased the sugar to 1/3 cup. Instead of almonds, I added chocolate chips. I baked them in mini muffin tins for 13 minutes.
These macaroons are very quick to prepare and very tasty!!! The recipe doesn't indicate how much salt to use, so I just added a dash or two... perfect. I only gave the recipe 4 out of 5 stars because our final product didn't hold together well. But that could be because our "large" eggs weren't large enough. Thankfully kids don't care if they hold together well... they just love the taste!