Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
This is the "Toasted Coconut Cupcakes" recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I just made them and they are delicious! The recipe below uses shortening whereas the original recipe calls for coconut oil. If you want to use a full can of coconut milk, just double the recipe. Enjoy!
Top Review by Lalaloula
WOW, these muffins are great, great, great! So moist, fluffy and yummy! Mmmm, we could not get enough of them! I made them for my dad's bday and they were gone so fast! At first I thought that maybe 2 ts of extract was too much, because they smelt so very coconutty, but in the end it was perfect!
I made a couple of changes due to what I had on hand: I used half whole spelt flour for the ap, a home-made coconut milk and only 1 ts shortening. Furthermore I reduced the sugar to 1/4 c as I felt that would be enough for our taste. The muffins came out great and I will certainly make them often again. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper, hon!
Made and reviewed during Veggie Swap #48 August 2012.
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut extract
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Melt the shortening over low heat. (Once melted, turn the heat off, but leave on stove so it doesn't solidify.).
- In a separate bowl mix together coconut milk, sugar, vanilla and coconut extract. Stir in the melted shortening.
- Add the flour mixture in batches. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.