Recipe by cookiedog
Something like a candy bar, this has a fudgy crust with, creamy cheesecake center and is topped with toasted coconut. Please make sure to use unsweetened coconut which will be labeled "desiccated" coconut. From Martha Stewart.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I made this for sharing with a group ;my other half attends each week, but held back 1/3 of them just for the 2 of us to enjoy ~ I do need my chocolate fix most every day, so . . . Really enjoyed the chocolate & coconut combo & then, with the cream cheese, my enjoyment was just another notch or two higher yet! Very, very nice! Thanks for posting the recipe! [made & reviewed while on tour in Germany with ZWT6]
- 2 cups finely ground graham crackers (from 15 rectangles)
- 3 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (dessicated)
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 2-inch pieces, plus more
- unsalted butter, for pan
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 5 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. Butter parchment.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs and 2 cups coconut.
- Place chocolates and 3 tablespoons sugar in a heatproof bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water. Heat, stirring, until melted. Add butter, and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Whisk in 1 egg.
- Stir chocolate mixture into coconut mixture. Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake until set, 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool in pan.
- Using a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat cream cheese and remaining cup sugar on high speed until very smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, and add egg yolks and remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until completely smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pass mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, and stir until smooth. Pour over cooled crust. Sprinkle remaining cup coconut evenly over the top.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until top layer is just set and coconut is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate, loosely covered, overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of pan, and use parchment to lift out cheesecake. Run a knife under hot water, and dry well. Use it to cut cheesecake into 1-inch squares, wiping knife clean between cuts. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.