Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Something like a candy bar, this has a fudgy crust with, creamy cheesecake center and is topped with toasted coconut. Please make sure to use unsweetened coconut which will be labeled "desiccated" coconut. From Martha Stewart.
- 2 cups finely ground graham crackers (from 15 rectangles)
- 3 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (dessicated)
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 ounces milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 2-inch pieces, plus more
- unsalted butter, for pan
- 3 large eggs, plus
- 5 large egg yolks
- 12 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square baking pan. Line with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 sides. Butter parchment.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs and 2 cups coconut.
- Place chocolates and 3 tablespoons sugar in a heatproof bowl, and set over a pan of simmering water. Heat, stirring, until melted. Add butter, and stir until melted and smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly. Whisk in 1 egg.
- Stir chocolate mixture into coconut mixture. Press evenly into prepared pan. Bake until set, 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool in pan.
- Using a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat cream cheese and remaining cup sugar on high speed until very smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium, and add egg yolks and remaining 2 eggs, 1 at a time, until well combined. Scrape sides of bowl. Beat on medium-high speed until completely smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pass mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, and stir until smooth. Pour over cooled crust. Sprinkle remaining cup coconut evenly over the top.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until top layer is just set and coconut is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Refrigerate, loosely covered, overnight.
- Run a sharp knife around edges of pan, and use parchment to lift out cheesecake. Run a knife under hot water, and dry well. Use it to cut cheesecake into 1-inch squares, wiping knife clean between cuts. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
I made this for sharing with a group ;my other half attends each week, but held back 1/3 of them just for the 2 of us to enjoy ~ I do need my chocolate fix most every day, so . . . Really enjoyed the chocolate & coconut combo & then, with the cream cheese, my enjoyment was just another notch or two higher yet! Very, very nice! Thanks for posting the recipe! [made & reviewed while on tour in Germany with ZWT6]