Recipe by Dee514
I found this recipe about 25 years ago in a magazine. I realize it isn't a "from scratch" recipe, but sometimes you want something a bit out of the ordinary even though you are pressed for time. Its been a very popular dessert with my family for picnics, BBQ's, etc. and always a success at bake sales. It tastes like those chocolate covered coconut candy bars :)
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups flaked coconut (approx.)
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (2 layer size)
- 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (4 serving size)
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Can use a chocolate glaze if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10" bundt pan.
- Filling: In a small bowl, beat egg whites till foamy.
- Slowly add sugar while beating whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir in flour and coconut and set mixture aside.
- Cake batter: In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients.
- Beat for 2 minutes with mixer at medium speed.
- Pour about 1/3 to 1/2 of the batter into the pan.
- Spoon the coconut mixture evenly on top of the batter.
- Fill the pan with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes, or until cake tester inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.
- When cool, top with glaze.
- Confectioner's Sugar Glaze: In a small bowl, gradually stir milk into sugar, glaze should be thick enough to stay on the top of the cake, yet"drip" down the sides a bit.