Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Moist, tasty and easy. Chopped glace cherries can also be added to coconut filling.
Make and share this Chocolate Coconut Bars recipe from Food.com.
- Base: Cream butter and sugar, add vanilla, then sifted dry ingredients,mix well.
- Press mixture over base of 30cm x 20cm tray.
- Bake in moderate oven 20 minutes.
- Remove, spread evenly with coconut filling.
- Return to oven, bake further 25 minutes.
- Filling: Combine dry ingredients in bowl, add combined beaten egg, milk and vanilla, mix well.
- Remove from oven, stand 5 minutes, top with icing, cut into bars when cold.
- Icing: Sift icing sugar and cocoa into bowl, add softened butter and water, beat until smooth.
This recipe worked out well in the end, though I had a few little troubles getting it there. The base wasn't enough to cover my pan, which was actually slightly smaller than 20 x 30 so I had to do a double batch of the base. I baked it at 180 C and added just 1 batch of the coconut filling. I couldn't get the chocolate topping to come together with just 1 tbsp water so I added another spoonful. In the end, the bars were very tasty, although I did find the topping a bit sugary. Next time I might go for a simple chocolate glaze instead of an icing-sugar topping.