1/1 Photo of Chocolate Coated Orange Peels
10 hrs 15 mins
6 hrs 15 mins
This makes a great gift, if you don't finish it all yourself first!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a baking sheet with wax paper; set aside.
- 2Scrub oranges well, and cut in half.
- 3Scoop out the flesh and reserve for another use.
- 4Place the shells in a medium-sized bowl and cover with cold water, keeping them under water with a small plate or lid.
- 5Let soak for about 4 hours or overnight, replacing the water once.
- 6Cut each shell in half; place in a large heavy saucepan.
- 7Add water to cover and bring to a boil over medium high heat.
- 8Boil for 15 minutes.
- 9Drain and repeat the process.
- 10When oranges are cool enough to handle, cut into strips about 1/4 by 2 inches.
- 11Return the strips to the saucepan; add sugar and 1 cup water.
- 12Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- 13Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost gone, about 1 1/2-2 hours. (Watch closely toward the end of cooking).
- 14Add the lemon juice; stir to coat the strips.
- 15Drain the strips in a sieve.
- 16When they are cool enough to handle, spread on the prepared baking sheet.
- 17Put all but 1/4 cup of the chocolate and the oil in the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water.
- 18Stir just until melted, remove double boiler from heat, and add the remaining chocolate, stirring until melted.
- 19Roll each orange strip in sugar, then dip half of each peel into the chocolate and return to the baking sheet.
- 20Place in the freezer for a minute or two to let the chocolate set.
- 21Remove from the freezer and let them sit for several hours until they are firm.
- 22Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Coated Orange Peels
Serving Size: 1 (976 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.6
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 0.2 g