Recipe by Sam #3
A Father's Day favorite! Cook time includes chill time.
Top Review by SrtaMaestra
This was a hit with everyone at our house--even one 4 yr old who often doesn't care for chocolate desserts. (I know--what's wrong with her?) I tried to make this a little healthier. I started with Recipe #20658, 20658 instead of a cake mix, and I prepared it with part whole wheat flour, applesauce for some of the oil, and drastically reduced the sugar and used some splenda. For the pudding, we used sugar free pudding and skim milk. I was out of vanilla, but subbed white chocolate, which worked well (it's really just vanilla flavored, anyway). I used lite cool whip as well. You'd never guess our version was reduced fat/calorie! It still tastes to die for, and is best served with a tall glass of cold milk. I made the peanut clusters with some chocolate confectionary coating (what I had on hand), and the kids insist that I make them peanut clusters more often. Thanks for a great recipe! Made for PRMR.
- 1 (515 g) package chocolate cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (100 g) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 ounces squares semisweet baking chocolate, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups Cool Whip
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake cake mix as directed in 2 9in greased and floured cake pans.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove from pans.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, pour milk in a med bowl.
- Add dry pudding mix.
- Beat 2 minutes.
- Add peanut butter, mix well.
- Chill until ready to use.
- Mix peanuts and melted chocolate, stirring until evenly coated.
- Drop by teaspoonfulls onto a waxed paper covered cookie sheet.
- Chill 10 minutes or until firm.
- Place one of the cake layers on a platter, spread with 1 cup of pudding mixture.
- Cover with 2nd cake layer.
- Gently stir Cool Whip into remaining pudding mixture.
- Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Decorate with chocolate-peanut clusters.