Mmm...decadent! The Ruins in Seattle shared this culinary gem with us.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces best-quality bittersweet chocolate or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
- 6 large eggs, 2 whole, 4 separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cognac (optional) or 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, well chilled
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for sprinkling
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with a round of wax paper; do not butter the pan.
- 3Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a bowl set over hot water.
- 4Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter until melted; set aside.
- 5In a bowl, whisk the two whole eggs and the 4 egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar just until blended.
- 6Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture.
- 7Whisk in the optional cognac or Grand Marnier and the optional orange zest.
- 8In another bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the 4 egg whites until foamy.
- 9Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat until the whites form soft mounds that hold their shape, but are not quite stiff.
- 10Stir about 1/4 of the beaten egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it; gently fold in the remaining whites.
- 11Pour the batter into the pan; smooth the top.
- 12Bake until the top of the cake is puffed and cracked and the center is no longer wobbly, usually 35 to 40 minutes.
- 13Do not overbake.
- 14Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack; the cake will sink as it cools, forming a crater with high sides.
- 15FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING: At serving time, whip the cream with the confectioner's sugar and vanilla until not quite stiff.
- 16With a spatula, carefully fill the crater of the cake with the whipped cream, pushing it gently to the edges.
- 17Dust the top lightly with cocoa powder.
- 18Run the tip of a knife around the edges of the cake; carefully remove the sides of the pan and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cloud Cake
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.7
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 250.2 mg
- Sodium 71.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 28.3 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of