This gluten-free cake appeared in the Montreal Gazette awhile ago and is something that Nigella Lawson has made. If you don't like or don't have Cointreau, you can replace it and the orange peel with Kahlua or Tia Maria or with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g dark chocolate, chopped into button sized pieces
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 6 eggs (2 whole, 4 separated)
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur (optional)
- grated orange zest (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- 2Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave, then let the butter melt in the warm chocolate.
- 3Beat the two whole eggs and the four egg yolks with 1/3 cup of the sugar, then gently add the chocolate mixture, Cointreau and orange zest.
- 4In another bowl, whisk the four egg whites until foamy, then gradually add the remaining 1/2 cp sugar and whisk until the whites are holding their shape, but not too stiff. Lighten the chocolate mixture with a dollop of egg whites, then fold in the rest of the whites.
- 5Pour mixture into the prepare pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the cake has risen and cracked and the centre is no longer wobbly.
- 6Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack; the middle will sink as it cools.
- 7When ready to eat, place the cake on a cake stand and carefully remove it from its springform pan. Don't worry about cracks or rough edges; it's the crater look that you want to go for.
- 8Whip the cream until soft, then add vanilla and Cointreau and continue whisking until the cream is firm but not stiff.
- 9Fill the crater of the cake with the whipped cream, easing it out gently towards the edges of the cake, and dust the top lightly with cocoa powder pushed through a strainer.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Cloud Cake
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.2
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat 31.7 g
- Cholesterol 255.4 mg
- Sodium 163.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 22.6 g
- Protein 10.8 g