Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I haven't prepared this recipe yet, but it's on my list to try! The recipe didn't come with information about how much it makes, so I'm only guessing at 36 meringues.
- Sift together sugar and cocoa powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cinnamon, and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium speed until it forms soft peaks.
- Beat in the sugar mixture one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat the entire mixture on high until it's glossy and stiff.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls of batter onto the sheets, leaving 1-inch between.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the tops feel dry to the touch.
- Cool 5 minutes, then remove from parchment paper.
This recipe didn't work so well for me. Everything seemed to be going fine when I put them in the oven (the batter tasted and looked so good, it was all I could do to keep myself from eating it there and then!) but they didn't bake up very well. They lost their stiffness in the oven and even after an hour of cooking were still gooey in the centre -- not solid throughout a hard meringue should be.
My try at these cookies turned out perfectly--only changes made to the recipe were: I omitted the cream of tartar, because I didn't have any..batter, at end of blending time, was extremely thick, resembling a very thick cake frosting--and it was very very stiff--The other change was that I made the meringues larger than the one teaspoon recommended size..mine were more like 1 heaping tablespoon if not more..I spooned them onto the pan, and flattened them a bit with the spoon. The cookies held their shapes perfectly, and cooked as I expected..I made a total of 40 cookies out of this recipe--flavor is a wonderful blend of chocolate and cinnamon..I say these are a keeper, for sure!! thanks for posting this recipe!! Teresa
Like T girl, I also made mine larger- the heaping tablespoon thing. And as Sackville Girl said they weren't solid throughout (in my case- because they were too big? Maybe). Whatever. They are delish!! And #2 son who is VERY picky (he won't eat chocolate chip cookies for goodness sakes) has gone ga-ga for these things. With only 1 WW point per serving I'm with him! Oh, and I used Korijte (sp?) cinnamon- sooooooooo good!