Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Even the name sounds delicious...
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350F and thoroughly grease a 9×5? loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until the previous egg has been completely incorporated before adding the next.
- In a medium bowl, sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, water and vanilla extract.
- Working in two or three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the sugar mixture. Begin and end with an addition of the flour mix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together topping ingredients: sugar, cinnamon, cocoa powder and ground cloves. Sprinkle evenly on top of the loaf cake.
- Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Lovely moist, cake-like loaf. Lots and lots of chocolate flavor! I love the depth that the cinnamon adds. I replaced the water with coffee to further deepen the flavor and added walnuts. Perfect with a cup of coffee!
Made this this am. Everyone loves it. Tastes wonderful. Enjoying greatly. However we are a cake in a bread pan. Still will definitely make again