Recipe by hannahactually
From world-famous chef Marcus Samuelsson for Starbucks. DELICIOUS blend of flavors.
Top Review by DustyFox
Moist and tasty. Love this bread. I made a loaf with my grandson helping me and it turned out great. He doesn't like cake, but loved ths bread. Thee chocolate and cinnamon go well together. I took the advice of someone else and turned it out onto parchment paper then flipped it over on a cake rack to cool.
- 354.88 ml unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 709.77 ml granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 295.73 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 14.79 ml ground cinnamon
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 59.14 ml water
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Cocoa-Spice Sugar Crust
- 59.14 ml granulated sugar
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 0.25 ml ground ginger
- 0.25 ml ground cloves
- 59.14 ml decorator sugar or 59.14 ml sparkle sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans and line bottom of pans with parchment paper.
- Chocolate Batter: in bowl of electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar with paddle attachment on medium speed, until light and creamy about 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is completely incorporated before adding the next and scraping down sides of bowl several times.
- Meanwhile, in medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, water and vanilla.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to butter, beginning and ending with flour and beating just until blended.
- Divide batter between the two pans, shake pans to even tops and set aside.
- Cocoa Spice Sugar Crust: in another small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, cocoa, ginger and cloves.
- Sprinkle surfaces of both batters with decorating sugar.
- Sprinkle with cocoa sugar mixture, dividing evenly.
- Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool completely, run thin knife around sides to release breads and remove from pans.