Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
The secret to these best-ever, melt in your mouth shortbread cookies is toasting the flour and baking the cookies in a slow oven. Mmmm... Original recipe adapted from Desserts By Phipps in Toronto. Prep time includes refrigerating dough.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup fruit sugar (instant dissolving)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 8 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- Place 1 1/2 cups of the all purpose flour in a 12-inch frying pan and cook (yes, cook!) over medium heat, stirring constantly, until flour is medium brown in color (about 8 minutes).
- Let cool.
- In bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift together rice flour, cooked all purpose flour and remaining all purpose flour.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in chocolate chunks (I've also used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips and the cookies taste just as good).
- Refrigerate until dough is stiff enough to handle (about 1 hour).
- Roll into 1 1/4" balls and place on parchment-lined baking sheets about 2" apart.
- Bake in preheated 275 degree oven for about 50 minutes or until slightly golden on the bottom.
- Let cool 10 minutes before removing from baking sheet.