1/1 Photo of Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie
25 hrs 4 mins
Found this recipe on The King Arthur recipe site. The flavorings mentioned are their recommendations...........choose only 'one'. Use 1/2 teaspoon of any of the three mentioned - OR - just use 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or King Arthur Perfect Pastry Blend Flour)
- 1 tablespoon dry buttermilk (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup king arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (see NOTE* in directions)
- 1 1/3 cups bittersweet chocolate (or semisweet chocolate chips or chunks, or a combination)
- 2/3 cup diced pecans (toasted in a 350 F oven till golden, 8 to 10 minutes)
- 2/3 cup pecan halves (optional)
- 1To make the crust: Whisk together the flour, buttermilk powder, salt, and baking powder.
- 2Add the shortening, working it in till it's thoroughly dispersed throughout the dry ingredients.
- 3Cut the butter into pats, and roughly work it into the mixture in the bowl; a few large pieces remaining are OK.
- 4Sprinkle the vinegar into the bowl, then 3 tablespoons of the ice water. Mix quickly and gently, just till everything is thoroughly moistened.
- 5Gather the dough into your hand, and squeeze it. If it holds together nicely, it's ready. If not, add a bit more ice water, a teaspoon or so at a time, till it's cohesive.
- 6Shape the dough into a rough disk, and transfer it to a well-floured work surface.
- 7Roll it into a rectangle about 8" x 12".
- 8Fold the rectangle like a letter, turn it 90°, and roll it into an 8" x 12" rectangle again.
- 9Give it another three-fold, then fold it in half to make a thick square.
- 10Wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or for up to 24 hours.
- 11Remove the dough from the fridge, and allow it to warm for about 15 minutes before rolling.
- 12While it's warming, preheat the oven to 375°F
- 13Roll the dough into a 12" to 13" circle.
- 14Transfer the crust to a 9" pie plate.
- 15Trim the edges (patching any bare spots, if necessary), and make a tall crimp.
- 16Refrigerate the crust while you make the filling.
- 17Note: You may choose to make the filling during the dough's initial chilling period, instead of once it's shaped. Doesn't matter; either way is fine.
- 18Beat the eggs, sugar, and salt for about 2 minutes at high speed, till they're thick and light-colored.
- 19Stir in the flour, the cooled, melted butter; and the flavor of your choice, then the chocolate chips/chunks and the diced pecans.
- 20Pour the batter into the pie crust, then scatter the pecan halves on top.
- 21Bake the pie for 30 minutes.
- 22Tent it lightly with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, till the crust and top are both golden brown.
- 23Remove the pie from the oven, and allow it to cool for about 30 minutes before serving.
- 24Top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
- 25NOTE*: If desired, substitute 1/2 teaspoon vanilla-butternut flavor, pralines & cream flavor, or butter-rum flavor, all optional but delicious.
Browse Our Top > 1 Day Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chunk Pecan Pie
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.1
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.0 mg
- Sodium 340.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 25.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: