Recipe by Bonnie bonbon
this is an adaptation of a recipe from a very old edition of "joy of cooking". it was my idea to use the whole sugar cane product and melt it together with the butter. i use chocolate chunks and not chips because you lose some texture when the hot butter/sugar mix melts the chocolate. according to my australian friend (to whom i express mailed these cookies), they are the best chocolate chip cookies in the world :c)
- 1⁄2 cup butter ((or 1/3 cup ghee))
- 1 cup sucanat, jaggery or 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups white flour ((can use whole flours if desired))
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate chunk
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- melt butter in saucepan.
- add sucanat to melted butter and melt together slowly over low heat, stirring frequently combine and sift in large mixing bowl: flour, salt, baking soda.
- beat egg in small dish and mix in vanilla extract.
- remove saucepan from heat and let cool somewhat.
- add butter-sugar mix and egg-vanilla mix into large bowl with dry ingredients; beat together fold in walnuts and chocolate chunks.
- drop cookie dough from a spoon onto greased cookie sheets (you will need 2) bake about 10 minutes.
- Note: you can make this into a killer chocolate chip oatmeal cookie by reducing the flour to 1 cup and adding 1/2 cup oats. this is how i make them now. delish!!!