Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This a a version I came up with after seeing a recipe from "wife2abadge" # 154737
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups Splenda granular
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup Smart Balance light butter spread, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks
- Combine sugars, butter, eggs whites, and vanilla til creamy.
- Combine the flours, soda, and salt and add to butter mixture.
- Stir just until moistened
- Stir in chocolate
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart on baking sheets that have been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- Remove cookies to racks to cool.
I was disappointed somewhat by this recipe-- expected it to taste more like a traditional chocolate chip cookie. The texture is kind of dry and cakelike, more like a muffin than a cookie. They seem to have an aftertaste from the Splenda. I added a small container (1/2 cup?) of applesauce to the dough before baking as it seemed to need more moisture (I am a cookie baker from way back). I also used 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters in place of the egg whites. The cookies do not spread (flatten) or brown, so keep that in mind when forming them. You may want to try spraying them lightly with cooking spray just before baking if you like yours browned. My batch yielded about 24 2-inch dome-shaped cookies. Not so sure I would make these again, just not my taste.
I made these for my Mom for Christmas, since she was recently diagonosed as a diabetic. I used Splenda brown sugar blend, a whole egg, and used chopped up sugar free Hershey miniatures instead of semisweet chocolate chunks. She loved them! She actually hid them so all of the non-restricted people wouldn't steal her cookies! Thanks for posting a treat that my Mom can enjoy!
We came very close to giving this one all 5 stars! I kept the recipe exactly the same, however, I had trouble getting 48 servings. I think it was more like 36! That didn't stop me from eating about 4...OK maybe 5 the other day!