Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from "The New Whole Grains Cookbook" I love the texture of the Kasha used, and adore these cookies.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat groats (Kasha)
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2 inch chucks
- Preheat over to 375°F.
- In a stand mixer or bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, and almond extract until well mixed.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt and buckwheat, and add to the butter mixture, beating to incorporate. When the flour is mixed in, add the chocolate and stir until combined.
- Drop 2-tablespoon-size balls of dough onto ungreased sheet pans, leaving 3 inches of space between the balls. The cookies will spread while baking.
- Bake for 6 minutes, reverse the position of the pans in the oven, then bake for 4 to 6 minutes more. A pale, soft center surrounded by golden brown cookie is the desired result.
- Let the cookie cool on the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks with a spatula. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to a week.
The short review: Turned out fabulous! In more depth: So I wasn't sure what the extra two tablespoons of flour meant, so i just did the one cup. I also dislike almond flavoring, so skipped that, but added 100g of crushed pecans and halved the amount of chocolate. I added 1tsp cinnamon and 1/2tsp nutmeg, but next time i think i'll double the nutmeg. So pleased with the results though!