Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
This sweet, soft, chocolaty bread will melt in your mouth with real butter spread over it. Your kids won't understand why they have to eat normal bread after tasting this!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, coarsely chopped
- Combine yeast, 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder, salt, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large bowl; stir to mix.
- Combine milk, sugar, and butter in a small saucepan. Heat to 120-130°F, stirring occasionally.
- Pour milk mixture into flour mixture, beat until smooth.
- Add the remaining 1 cup flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, mixing until flour is completely incorporated. The dough will be soft and sticky.
- Kneed dough 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as you do, keeping hands dusted in flour to facilitate kneading.
- Cover dough and let rest 10 minutes.
- Punch dough flat.
- Place chopped chocolate on top.
- Fold sides of dough up over chocolate. Knead to distribute chocolate evenly through dough.
- Dust your hands with additional cocoa powder and shape dough into a round ball.
- Place ball of dough into a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart (or, preferably 1 quart if you have one) baking dish, cover with a dry cloth.
- Let rise in a warm, draft-free place about 1 hour, or until nearly doubled.
- Using a flour sifter, sift cocoa powder over the top of the dough.
- About 15 minutes before end of rising time, preheat oven to 350°F
- Place bread in the middle of the oven and bake 35-40 minutes, or until sides are browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped at the bottom. If the top crust seems to be browning too quickly, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes of baking.
- Remove bread from baking dish and let cool on wire rack.