These use Chocolate-Covered Cherry Mice(recipe previously posted). These are easy to make and a great project to do with children. No baking required, just use Hershey's chocolate kisses, double stuffed Oreos, maraschino cherries and chocolate chips to "build" your Christmas mice!
- 24 Oreo Double Stuff cookies
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 ounce paraffin wax, chopped (see Notes)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (see Notes)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (3 ounce) package red decorating gel (clear)
- 1 (3 ounce) package green decorating gel (clear)
- 24 cherries
- 1 (8 ounce) package , hershey's kisses
- Carefully twist Oreo cookies apart. Set aside the ones with the cream filling on them; save plain halves for another use. (You could make crumbs for pie crust).
- In microwave, melt chocolate chip, paraffin and butter; stir until smooth.
- Holding cherry by stem, dip in melted chocolate, then press onto the bottom of a chocolate kiss.
- Place cherry and kiss onto the cream filling of the cookie. Let stem extend over the edge.
- Make ears for your mouse by placing sliced almonds between the cherry and the kiss (before the chocolate sets).
- Place in refrigerator until chocolate sets.
- With green decorative gel, pipe holly leaves on white cream of cookie by the mouse.
- Pipe holly berries between the leaves with the red gel.
- Pipe eyes on each chocolate kiss.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- I used Almond Bark instead of the chocolate chips and eliminated the need for shortening.
- Maraschino cherries need to have stems and be well-drained.
- Keep chocolate hot by putting in a bowl over a steaming pan of water.
- I used a teapot, took the lid off and placed my bowl over it after melting chocolate in microwave.
- You can use a clean eyebrow tweezer or something else to grasp the cherries by the stems to dunk in chocolate.
- Make extras because everyone at your party will want one to take home to show around and to use as a pattern to make their own!