Recipe by Nana Lee
These use Chocolate-Covered Cherry Mice(recipe previously posted). These are easy to make and a great project to do with children. No baking required, just use Hershey's chocolate kisses, double stuffed Oreos, maraschino cherries and chocolate chips to "build" your Christmas mice!
Top Review by rburl
This is a tradition in my home-little children love the activity and everyone enjoys the cute little mice. I place them in a holiday cupcake paper & add a Christmas Mouse label to personalize and transport.
- 24 Oreo Double Stuff cookies
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- 1 ounce paraffin wax, chopped (see Notes)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (see Notes)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (3 ounce) package red decorating gel (clear)
- 1 (3 ounce) package green decorating gel (clear)
- 24 cherries
- 1 (8 ounce) package , hershey's kisses
Directions See How It's Made
- Carefully twist Oreo cookies apart. Set aside the ones with the cream filling on them; save plain halves for another use. (You could make crumbs for pie crust).
- In microwave, melt chocolate chip, paraffin and butter; stir until smooth.
- Holding cherry by stem, dip in melted chocolate, then press onto the bottom of a chocolate kiss.
- Place cherry and kiss onto the cream filling of the cookie. Let stem extend over the edge.
- Make ears for your mouse by placing sliced almonds between the cherry and the kiss (before the chocolate sets).
- Place in refrigerator until chocolate sets.
- With green decorative gel, pipe holly leaves on white cream of cookie by the mouse.
- Pipe holly berries between the leaves with the red gel.
- Pipe eyes on each chocolate kiss.
- Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- I used Almond Bark instead of the chocolate chips and eliminated the need for shortening.
- Maraschino cherries need to have stems and be well-drained.
- Keep chocolate hot by putting in a bowl over a steaming pan of water.
- I used a teapot, took the lid off and placed my bowl over it after melting chocolate in microwave.
- You can use a clean eyebrow tweezer or something else to grasp the cherries by the stems to dunk in chocolate.
- Make extras because everyone at your party will want one to take home to show around and to use as a pattern to make their own!