Prep 45 mins
Cook 47 mins
Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 (18 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate morsel
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, and eggs; beat with an electric mixer for 2-1/2 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups about two-thirds full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool another 10 minutes.
- Gently cut each cupcake in half horizontally - a serated knife usually works best.
- Using a double boiler; mix together chocolate morsels, milk, and cocoa in top; and bring water to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cook until morsels are melted; stirring occasionally.
- Remove boiler from heat and stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Gently spread bottom half of cupcakes with 2-3 teaspoons chocolate mixture; cover with top half of cupcake.
- Sprinkle lightly with remaining powdered sugar.