Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from Bon Appetit. A food processor works well to make the dough.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, frozen 1 hour
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, diced at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Whisk flour, cocoa, and salt in small bowl to blend.
- Coarsely chop 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips in processor. With machine running, add butter, then 1/2 cup sugar through feed tube.
- Add egg yolk and both extracts and process to blend.
- Using on/off turns, mix in walnuts, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add flour mixture and process just until dough comes together, about 1 minute. Transfer dough to large bowl. Using hands, mix in remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Using 1 tablespoon dough for each, shape dough into 1 1/2 inch diameter balls. Press each dough ball to 1/2 inch thickness; dip 1 side into remaining 1/2 cup sugar to coat.
- Arrange cookies, sugar side up, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set and almost firm to touch, about 18 minutes; cool on racks.