Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
The absolute muffin for the absolute chocolate lover.
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate and 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler over simmering water.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C).
- Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; Make a well in the center and set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs; add the brown sugar, milk, butter, melted chocolate mixture and vanilla; mix well.
- Pour this mixture into well of flour mixture.
- Stir until just moistened; do not over mix.
- Gently fold remaining chocolate chips into batter.
- Fill prepared muffin tins two thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until muffins test done.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
I am VR's 14 year old daughter and I made these today; here's my review: These muffins turned out a little crumbly, but still chocolatey and tasty. I followed the recipe exactly except I added a bit of white sugar, as the batter didn't taste sweet enough for me. Also, this recipe made 15 muffins, not 12. All in all, a good recipe. Will make again--thanks!