Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are to die for! They are a little more work than store bought but they blow the doors off anything you can buy at the store. You can use store bought ice cream but homemade is so much better and it's so easy to make! Try to make the ice cream at least a few hours ahead so it can freeze up good. It'll be easier to work with plus you can eat the ice cream sandwiches right away without it oozing out the sides. For homemade, use my recipe The Realtor's Strawberry Ice Cream #384140
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 quart strawberry ice cream (use recipe # or store bought)
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift first 4 ingredients into bowl. Using mixer, beat butter in another bowl until fluffy. Beat in both sugars, then eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in vanilla, then flour mixture. Fold in chips.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls (I use a 1 tbsp scoop so they are all the same) onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 3 inches apart. You should end up with 24. Using moist fingertips, flatten mounds to about 3/4 inch thickness.
- Bake both trays at the same time, 5 minutes. Reverse the trays. Bake cookies until they are puffed and dry looking but still soft to the touch, about 5 more minutes. Cool completely. Freeze on sheets 15 minutes.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup ice cream onto the flat side of cookie and top with second cookie, press together lightly. Wrap and freeze. Repeat with remaining cookies.