Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These make wonderful treats for breakfast, brunch or even a snack. Great for dipping in your coffe too. The dough is very sticky when kneading so make sure you have plenty of flour on your hands and the table.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- chocolate-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add eggs, egg whites,chocolate chips, vanilla and almond extract.
- add water.
- FLOUR HANDS.
- Mix well into dough (It will be VERY sticky).
- Flour a flat surface.
- Knead dough 8-9 times on floured surface.
- FOR Small Biscotti, cut dough in half, for large, leave dough large.
- Shape into 14-16" log.
- Place on greased cookie sheet.
- press into 1/2 thickness on cookie sheet.
- OPTIONAL-brush chocolate flavored liquor on top and sides of log.
- BAke at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
- When cool, cut diagnolly into 1/2" bars.
- Place bars cut side down on cookie sheet.
- Bake 5-10 minutes each side depending on how crunchy you like your biscotti Cool and Enjoy.
What I really wanted was the Chocolate biscotti that uses butter...but I didn't have butter so I used this one instead. It is okay, but needs BUTTER! :-) I used 4 eggs and used just under a 1/4 cup Kahlua in place of the water.
This was a great, simple recipe! I didn't have chocolate liqueur to use, but I think that would be great. I melted down about 3/4 c. chocolate chips and after the biscotti cooled I spread a thin layer on one of the sliced sides. Yum!
I made this last night and I loved it!!!!!! So did my coworkers! It was soooo simple to make!