Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Cooking Light Magazine. It is delicious and healthy!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; mix at low speed until well blended.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, stir well with whisk.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating until just moist.
- Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes and remove to wire rack.
- Cool completely.
Very rich and moist, and flavorful! I used Splenda for half of the sugar (I leave a little real sugar in for texture and browning when baking breads) This is better than most low fat zuke breads I have tried. The amount of cinnamon was just right for a subtle spiciness. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
Yummy! I used all WW flour with great results. Also added the extra tbs of cocoa and reduced sugar to 2/3 cup. I didn't have enough applesauce and subbed the balance with vanilla yogurt. I got 15 good-sized muffins plus a dozen minis. A delicious treat for my kids lunchbox and I love them too!
WOW. This was really good!! I followed the lead and subbed ww flour and added more cocoa, and I also added about 1/4 c. flaxseed. I wasn't sure how fast we would be able to eat a loaf of bread so I made muffins, planning on freezing some, but I think they will get eaten pretty quickly. :) I got 18 muffins, but some were a little small... I'll probably try to just make 12 next time. (I baked them at 425 for 18 min.) Oh, I also cut back the sugar to 1/2 c. and they were still sweet enough. Thanks for posting this yummy recipe!! LATER: I forgot to mention that my oven isn't very hot, so if you try the muffins, they may not to cook so hot or for so long... Also, I used a Raspberry-Applesauce from Trader Joe's that added really good flavor. I just made these again for my daughter's birthday instead of Birthday cake and everyone loved them and didn't even complain that they weren't fatty or frosted. :)