Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 3⁄4 cup Golden Crisco Shortening (175 mL)
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed (300 mL)
- 2 tablespoons milk (30 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (15 mL)
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 mL)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda (3 mL)
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet Hershey's Chipits- small chocolate chips (375 mL)
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped (420 g)
- 1 tablespoon water (15 mL)
- Heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) pan with shortening.
- Place cooling rack on countertop.
- Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Beat egg into creamed mixture. Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- Mix into creamed mixture just until blended.
- Stir in Hershey's Chipets- small chocolate chips.
- Divide dough into thirds.
- Pat 2/3 of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Combine caramels and water in small saucepan.
- Place on very low heat. Stir constantly until caramels melt. Spread caramel mixture over dough in pan to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of edge. Divide remaining dough into measuri ng teaspoonfuls (5 mL) and drop evenly over the caramel layer.
- Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Loosen from sides of pan with knife. Cool completely on rack.
- Cut into bars.