My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup Golden Crisco Shortening (175 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed (300 mL)
- 2 tablespoons milk (30 mL)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla (15 mL)
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 mL)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda (3 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet Hershey's Chipits- small chocolate chips (375 mL)
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped (420 g)
- 1 tablespoon water (15 mL)
- 1Heat oven to 350 F (180 C). Grease a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) pan with shortening.
- 2Place cooling rack on countertop.
- 3Combine shortening, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in large bowl.
- 4Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- 5Beat egg into creamed mixture. Combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- 6Mix into creamed mixture just until blended.
- 7Stir in Hershey's Chipets- small chocolate chips.
- 8Divide dough into thirds.
- 9Pat 2/3 of dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- 10Combine caramels and water in small saucepan.
- 11Place on very low heat. Stir constantly until caramels melt. Spread caramel mixture over dough in pan to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of edge. Divide remaining dough into measuri ng teaspoonfuls (5 mL) and drop evenly over the caramel layer.
- 12Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 13DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- 14Loosen from sides of pan with knife. Cool completely on rack.
- 15Cut into bars.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Turtle Bars
Serving Size: 1 (1278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.6
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 184.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 27.9 g
- Protein 2.4 g