Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This rich, moist, chocolately dessert is a hit every time! No one will ever know that DATES are the secret ingredient. This cake keeps well, not that you will have it around for long!
- 1 cup dates (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (sifted)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (any - chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, bring first three ingredients to a second boil.
- Remove from heat, stir well, cover& refrigerate until chilled (or overnight).
- Cream together next six ingredients.
- Blend in the cold date mixture.
- Pour into a greased 13x9 cake pan.
- Top with chocolate chips& nuts, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
This was pretty good, VERY moist!!! We liked this alot, I used chopped pecans in this
This moist and chocolatey cake went fast! Who would have thought it had dates in it??? Nobody at my house! Great way to disguise them. It was very easy to put together...just make sure you plan ahead and fix the dates before you need them...someone didn't read the directions very well so we had this for dessert with our lunch today instead of our dinner last night. Uh, yep, that would be me. Oh well...it's still good!