Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
this one is awesome and worth sharing.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Set rack in center of oven and preheat to 275* F.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, dull side up, (or baking parchment). In a medium bowl, beat whites till foamy, then add salt. Continue to beat till stiff peaks form, slowly adding sugar, extract, and lemon juice. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop batter onto cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls--no larger, these are very rich-- spaced 2 inches apart. Sift powdered sugar over tops.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, until tops are barely pale and meringue surface is firm.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in a tightly covered container at room temperature.
My first attempt at meringues. These were awesome. Sweet and gooey and rich. Very easy to make. I ended up with 38 "three-bite" meringues. Will definitely make again.
so easy and my family went nuts over them. i am now inspired to experiment and try different flavors