1/1 Photo of Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
From Simple & Delicious May/June 2008 (funny as it is April now). These are a very simple shortcake to put together to serve with strawberries for the spring season. This could be used as a shortcake for any fruit dessert but I love strawberries. I also love it because they are a drop shortcake and not one where you need to roll it out and cut - so it puts together very quickly. (The cooking time does not include any time for cooling - approximately another 30-45 minutes for the shortcakes to cool enough before slicing. The Prep time includes extra time needed to prepare your own Sweetened Whipped Cream)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chip
Sweetened Whipped cream (optional for topping)
- 1In a small bowl, combine the strawberries and 1/4 c sugar; cover and refrigerate until serving (this will create its own nice juices for serving).
- 2In a large bowl, combine the flour, 2 tbls sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a small bowl, combine the whipping cream and 1/2 c butter.
- 4Stir the cream mixture into the flour mixture, just until a thick batter forms; then gently stir in the chocolate chips just till mixed inches.
- 5Drop by 1/3 cupfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
- 6Brush tops with the 1 tbls melted butter and sprinkle evenly with the extra 1 tbls sugar.
- 7Bake at 375F for 18-20 minutes or just until golden brown.
- 8Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- 9Cut biscuits in half horizontally and spoon strawberries onto bottom half then top with whipped cream (if using) and replace shortcake tops.
- 10WHIPPED CREAM (instructions) - In a "chilled" small glass bowl and using "chilled" beaters, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioner's sugar and extract then beat until soft peaks form. Store in the refrigerator until prepared to use. (Makes 2 cups of whipped cream).
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcakes
Serving Size: 1 (187 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.3
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 115.8 mg
- Sodium 398.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g