Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
Add fresh blueberries to complete your red, white and blue theme.
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cold butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, cut up
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 (12 ounce) containerfrozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 4 cups sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease baking sheets.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in morsels.
- Stir in buttermilk with a fork just until mixture is moistened.
- Knead 2 or 3 times on floured surface.
- Pat to 3/4 inch thickness.
- Cut into 2 ½ x 2 1/2 inch diamonds; place on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut one shortcake in half horizontally.
- Spread bottom half with whipped topping; top with strawberries.
- Cover with shortcake top; layer with more whipped topping and strawberries.
- Repeat with remaining shortcakes.
- Serve immediately.