Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chocolate Chip Squares
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Mix the butter, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla, milk, and egg yolks together until it forms a stiff dough.
- Press dough into the bottom of a 9 X 9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over dough.
- Make a meringue by whipping together the egg whites and brown sugar.
- Pour meringue over dough and chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes.
- NOTES : I usually cut down on the brown sugar in the meringue by about 1/4 of a cup. The squares are rich enough that they don't miss it. I also use margarine instead of butter.
Im really sorry, but I didnt really like these. They are very "greasy" and the texture is a bit odd...not like a regular bar. There is way too much chocolate in them; when cooled they hardly stay together. I wasnt very thrilled about the meringue on top either. Im sorry... these just werent what Id thought they would be. I will try again with changes in the future.
These squares are delicious:) The meringue took a WHILE to get to the right consistency. I think next time I will use less chocolate chips, just because they are a little too chocolatey for me... everyone who tried them really liked them!