Recipe by Peyton&KaylansMama
From Sunset magazine. The picture looks devine! I am making these for my Fourth of July Celebration. I hope you enjoy. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. Recipe states that shortcakes can be made 1 day in advance if you cool completely and place in airtight container at room temperature. Sauce can be made ahead a day also; to rewarm place over low heat and stir gently. *Dark Chocolate Sauce Recipe follows in the Directions area*
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (About)
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided (About)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks plus 1 tbsp melted
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 4 cups blackberries, and or raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped mint leaf
- dark chocolate syrup (recipe follows)
- slightly sweetend softly whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Dark chocolate sauce Recipe.
- In medium sauce pan over low heat, stir 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 6 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped until smoothe. Stir and cook for approximately 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tbs vanilla. Serve warm. Makes about 2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In bowl of food processor, combine 3 cups flour, 3 tbs sugar, baking powder, and salt; whirl until blended.Add 1/2 cup butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add cream and pulse just until dough comes together when you squeeze a clump.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and press to flatten slightly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top and knead until incorporated, 6-8 turns. Pat dough out to 1 1/4 inch thickness. With a 2 3/4 inch round cutter, cut shortcakes; gather dough and pat put again as needed to cut 6 cakes adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. set shortcakes slightly apart on baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- Bake until golden approximately 20-25 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a bowl gently mix 3 tbs sugar, berries and mint.
- With serrated knife , carefully cut cakes in half horizontally. Set bottoms on plates and top with berries, dark chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. Set tops in place.