From Sunset magazine. The picture looks devine! I am making these for my Fourth of July Celebration. I hope you enjoy. My mouth is watering just looking at the picture. Recipe states that shortcakes can be made 1 day in advance if you cool completely and place in airtight container at room temperature. Sauce can be made ahead a day also; to rewarm place over low heat and stir gently. *Dark Chocolate Sauce Recipe follows in the Directions area*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (About)
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided (About)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks plus 1 tbsp melted
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chip
- 4 cups blackberries, and or raspberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mint leaf
- dark chocolate syrup (recipe follows)
- slightly sweetend softly whipped cream
- 1Dark chocolate sauce Recipe.
- 2In medium sauce pan over low heat, stir 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 6 oz bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped until smoothe. Stir and cook for approximately 15 minutes. Stir in 1 tbs vanilla. Serve warm. Makes about 2 cups.
- 3Preheat oven to 375.
- 4In bowl of food processor, combine 3 cups flour, 3 tbs sugar, baking powder, and salt; whirl until blended.Add 1/2 cup butter and pulse until fine crumbs form. Add cream and pulse just until dough comes together when you squeeze a clump.
- 5Turn dough onto floured surface and press to flatten slightly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over top and knead until incorporated, 6-8 turns. Pat dough out to 1 1/4 inch thickness. With a 2 3/4 inch round cutter, cut shortcakes; gather dough and pat put again as needed to cut 6 cakes adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. set shortcakes slightly apart on baking sheet, brush tops with melted butter, and sprinkle generously with sugar.
- 6Bake until golden approximately 20-25 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile in a bowl gently mix 3 tbs sugar, berries and mint.
- 8With serrated knife , carefully cut cakes in half horizontally. Set bottoms on plates and top with berries, dark chocolate sauce, and whipped cream. Set tops in place.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Shortcakes (With Berries & Chocolate Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 696.1
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.8 g
- Cholesterol 95.0 mg
- Sodium 595.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 85.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 9.7 g