Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
delicious, no fail scone recipe. subsitute or add some white chocolate chips, or butterscotch chips for more flavors.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon packed grated lemon, rind of
- 3⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3⁄4 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk (for glaze)
- Butter and flour baking sheet.
- Sift 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into large bowl.
- Add butter and lemon peel; rub in with fingertips until butter is reduced to size of rice grains.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk and vanilla in small bowl to blend.
- Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; mix until dough comes together in moist clumps.
- Gather dough into ball.
- Press dough out on lightly floured surface to 8-inch round; cut round into 6-8 wedges.
- Transfer wedges to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.