Recipe by CarrieOkii
Sweeter and moister than typical English scones. If you want to make them smaller, you can cut the dough into two inch squares instead of three inch, before cutting into triangles. I sometimes like to use a mixture of two parts white to one part wheat flour.
- 9 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups mini chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup decorator sugar, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles pea-size pieces.
- Gently stir sour cream and milk into flour mixture until blended, then fold in mini chips.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape it into a 12" X 18" rectangle, patting with your hands to flatten it evenly. It should be approximately 3/4" thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into 3 inch squares. Cut each square diagonally into triangles. (This is easiest to accomplish by making the cuts into the rectangle of dough, but leaving the pieces in place.) Sprinkle dough with sparkling sugar.
- Separate dough, placing each triangle on parchment or silpat lined baking sheets, two inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.