It is very important that you mix the dough/batter very gently until just combined and bake them immediately otherwise the scones will get tough. The amount of salt may be reduced if you wish. You can very easily substitute the nuts/chocolate with dried fruits/whatever and the vanilla extract with other flavorings (but make sure to reduce to 1 tsp). Also you can add other spices such as cinnamon/nutmeg.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/3 tablespoons condensed milk (can sub 1/3 cup milk in replacement of 1/4 cup applesauce and the condensed milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned lightly into measuring cup and leveled with the back of a knife
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Heat oven to 400°F Grease cookie sheet.
- 2Melt butter in medium bowl. Stir in applesauce, egg, condensed milk, vanilla extract, salt, and baking powder.
- 3In a separate bowl, combine the flour, walnuts, chocolate chips, and sugar.
- 4Add the dry ingredients into the wet and gently mix them together until just combined. The batter may seem uneven and there may be some bits of visible flour but do not mix too much otherwise the scones will become tough.
- 5Now you can either drop them by 1/4 cupfuls 1-2 inches apart onto the cookie sheet. Or you can scrape your dough out onto a cutting board, shape it into a flat round disk, cut it into eight pizza-shaped slices, and place them on the cookie sheet 1-2 inches apart. The scones will not spread much during baking.
- 6Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Chip Scones
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.1
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.1 mg
- Sodium 316.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 14.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g