Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Chocolate and raspberry with a shortbread crust. Taste of Home Bars and Squares 2012, submitted by Bev Cudrak of Alberta. Made this for Xmas trays and it went really fast!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in egg and extract just until moistened, set aside 1 C of crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into a greased 11 x 7 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350F for 5 minutes then spread with jam and sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with semi-sweet chips and return to oven for about 30 seconds or until the chips look glossy.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into bars.
I make this using milk chocolate chips and low sugar seedless blackberry jam. I also line the pan with foil and grease it so I can lift bars out of the pan. That makes cutting easier.