Recipe by QueenQT26
This is my own modification of a recipe from bhg.com. I made it vegan, and just a little healthier overall. It's called "double-flavored muffins" on that site.
- 1 2⁄3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 eggs (egg substitute equal to 2 eggs)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces (6 ounces) or 1 cup carob chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease eighteen 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line the muffin cups with paper bake cups and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and cloves. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine the eggs/egg sub, pumpkin, and applesauce.
- Add the pumpkin mixture all at once to the flour mixture.
- Stir until just moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in the chocolate pieces.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into centers of the muffins comes out clean.
- Don't overbake.
- Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
- For Vegan do not use egg or egg based subs.