Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A healthy muffin that entices even the pickiest eaters! You can easily substitute blueberries or cranberries for the chocolate chips or omit them altogether.
- 1 1⁄3 cups natural bran
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine natural bran and milk in a separate bowl and let stand 3-5 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add pumpkin, eggs, oil and vanilla to bran and milk mixture.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold until moist. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon into greased or papered muffin tins, and bake @ 400F for 20-25 minutes.
I absolutely love this recipe!!! The flavor of the muffin is a bit on the bland side, but with the chocolate chips added, it's perfect! I do not have any muffin tins at this time (I threw ours away before our last move since they were getting yucky), so I just made it in an 8 x 8 pan. Turned out so great! I immediately made a second batch after finishing off the first one. The great thing was that a small bit would cure my sweet tooth after a meal and it was practically guilt free, since it is so healthy! I would recommend to never leave out the chocolate chips unless you really hate chocolate! It adds a great dimension to this muffin. The only thing I would definitely change (after making this MANY times) is to add 1 teaspoon of salt. It changes the flavor for the better quite dramatically. I don't like it nearly as much without the salt. Thank you so much for this recipe!
These are quite good....my kids had no idea they were eating bran muffins! I did use the entire 14 oz can of pumpkin that I had because I didn't want any of it left over. I doubled the cinnamon and subbed 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice for the cloves and nutmeg. All in all, pretty good. I will make these again.