Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is from a Taste of Home cookbook. Very rich.
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (12oz.)
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugar; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10" tube pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely.
- GLAZE: In a saucepan over low heat melt chocolate chips and butter.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Working quickly, drizzle over cooled cake.
The cake turned out great. I used dark chocolate chips (that's what I had on hand) and for the glaze, I used semisweet baking chocolate. It was all excellent. The glaze was, however, very thick, and I just spread it on top like frosting. I never seem to be able to "drizzle" correctly. But it is a wonderful, thick, fudgy, but not overly sweet, frosting. This recipe definitely will be made again.