Recipe by ellie_
Kids love this simple pound cake which was originally printed in Bon Appetit (November 1983).
Top Review by EeeGee
A nice tasting cake that looks great, I can see that kids would love it. I'm not a very accomplised baker so take my criticisim with a grain of salt: I found the cake a little dry (though that could just be my moody oven) also during prep it seemed to make a lot of dishes. (LOL) I broke the cake into chunks and kind of made a trifle with some custard and whipped cream which was deliscioso.
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Grease and flour 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Blend sugar and cocoa in saucepan.
- Stir in water.
- Simmer over med.
- -lowheat, stirring until smooth.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Cream butter or margaine in large bowl until fluffy.
- Beat in sugar and eggs.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk to creamed mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour 1/3 of batter into pan.
- Divide remaining batter in half.
- Mix one portion (one half of remaining batter) into cocoa mixture with baking soda.
- Spoon over batter in pan.
- Top with remaining (1/3 of original batter) batter.
- Bake for 65-75 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.