I've been making this cake for years, and I always have requests for it when I take it to parties and potlucks. The cake is very moist... you have to try it!
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- Combine the butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat until well blended.
- Add the sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition (This is an important step because the eggs add the leavening to the cake).
- Add the flour, alternately with the milk, starting and ending with flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a prepared pan and bake for about 1½ hours, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean, when inserted near the center of the cake.
- Remove from pan immediately and turn upright onto a serving plate.
- Allow cake to cool before slicing.
This was a very moist pound cake. I think it tastes twice as good the second day! I didn't try it, but I think that with the chocolate chips in it that it would be great with ice cream. I might try milk chocolate chips next time.
This cake recipe is actually more delicious than a certain 4.8 star, very popular recipe for butter pound cake on the site.
I am a relatively new baker and I used a single large bundt pan. I followed the instructions to the letter. I set my oven for 300 because I noticed that my cakes tended to shrivel and burn at the edges yet remain undercooked in the center at 350 or even 325.
The cake rose a little but it didn't overflow the pan - I used all of the batter in a single pan. I kept it in on the long side, 1 hour 40 minutes because my toothpick test kept coming out gooey. It was still gooey when I finally took the cake out of the oven, afraid the top would burn. But it turned out fine - the melted chocolate chips stick to the toothpick and give one the impression that it is undercooked.
The recipe is absolutely delicious. It's going in my permanent file.
we love this cake rich moist my granddaughter pick it out to make for her dads birthday it was a big hit! I making this weekend for her birthday, I made the chocolate glaze off the bake of Hershey cocoa can it came out so wonderful!! Yum!